Friday, November 5, 2010

Me and Brett

Being a Detroit Lions fan by birth (yeah, I know), I've never rooted for Brett Favre, who was both a Packer (boo!) and a Viking (hiss!).  And the annual melodrama that we've endured the last few years of "will he or won't he come back" was a little hard to take.

But Favre and I are nearly the same age.  He is a year younger than me. And watching a 41-year-old play quarterback in the NFL fills me almost with awe (even though he has frequently been awful this year).  Some may think that watching him hobble around on a broken foot is pathetic.  I agree.  But I also find it--I'm not sure what.  I wouldn't call it inspiring.  But it is interesting.  I guess I can identify with him for the first time. 

Watching him get pummeled by a 26-year-old defensive end, I can't help but imagine myself taking that hit (at which point I would be airlifted straight to the hospital, if not directly to the morgue). 

Injuries I can relate to, since I seem to hurt myself anytime I try to do anything athletic.

No comments:

Post a Comment