Thursday, October 14, 2010

Coaching soccer

So I coached my first soccer practices this week.  I volunteered to be the assistant coach for my 9-year-old's soccer team, meaning I would run practice one day a week.  It ended up being two days this week, because the coach was sick today.  I've managed to avoid coaching for about eight years, but finally decided to help out.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about soccer.  I played little league when I was a kid, but I have two soccer-playing girls and no baseball players.  It's at times like these when I am glad to be living in the age of the internet, where I was able to google some ideas to keep a group of 4th and 5th graders busy for an hour and a half.  I kept them busy; they were active; no one got hurt.  If they learned anything, I'll consider it a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun, I think you would be a good coach since you're already a professor. You can teach us students about english and different styles of writing, so I think you could teach a few young kids to play soccer or baseball. Well I wish you the best of luck on your next day of coaching!

    ReplyDelete